Northern Iowa Student Government is looking for highly motivated and passionate students to join the Board of Directors. Board Directors are part of the Executive Branch of NISG and exist to represent and improve upon specific areas of campus. As defined by the By-Laws, all Board Directors shall:
- Act as a representative of Student Government in all initiatives in order to foster communication and collaboration with the outlined populations under their Directorship and Office.
- Attend at least one meeting of the Senate per month to present a report of activities, or at the discretion of the NISG President shall submit a formal written report to share with Senate in replace of attendance at a meeting.
- Summarize activities and suggestions for the future of the position at the end of their tenure in a written report with the purpose of providing transitional materials for the next student in their position.
Director terms run April 2021 - April 2022. Please read the below for specific duties and responsibilities.
City Council Liaison for Cedar Falls
- Work with the Cedar Falls City Council, the Director of Governmental Relations, and the Mayor of Cedar Falls.
- This position is designed to be a conduit between UNI students, the Cedar Falls government, and Cedar Falls residents.
- Attend all city council meetings on the 1st and 3rd Monday of every month and issue reports to campus and student leadership.
City Council Liaison for Waterloo
- Work with the Waterloo City Council, the Director of Governmental Relations, and the Mayor of Waterloo.
- This position is designed to create stronger connections between UNI students and the city of Waterloo.
- Attend all Waterloo City Council meetings and External Relations meetings.
Director of Fine Arts
- Maintain open communication with the Directors/Department Heads of the School of Music, Department of Visual Art, Department of Theatre, and Dance groups.
- Coordinate with students, faculty and staff to investigate problems facing Fine Arts students at UNI and work to resolve these problems.
- Work to integrate the Fine Arts programs onto UNI’s campus, and to work on student involvement with these programs.
- Work to better integrate Fine Arts students into UNI’s student body, and work to continually be represented in Student Government.
Director of International Student Affairs
- Attend International Student Association meetings weekly.
- Attend International Advisory Council meetings as designated by the NISG Director of Diversity.
- Plan events in collaboration with international student organizations, the Center for Multicultural Education, the Office of International Admissions, and/or the Culture and Intensive English Program.
Director of LGBTQ+ Affairs
- Attend UNI Proud meetings weekly, and attend meetings of any other LGBTQ+ community-specific organizations.
- Attend LGBTQ+ Advisory and Advocacy Committee meetings monthly.
- Collaborate with the Gender and Sexuality Services center, student organization and university administration to work on projects that promote inclusivity, such as making facilities and housing gender inclusive.
- Serve as a liaison for the LGBTQ+ community to provide campus resources and relevant information to students.
Director of Mental Health
- Sits on the Mental Health Advocacy Committee.
- Attends meetings of the Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention Biennial Review Committee.
- Promote mental health initiatives happening across UNI.
- Meet monthly with the Director of the Counseling Center to provide updates on mental health services for students.
Director of Residence Life
- Encourage collaboration between University Housing and Dining (UHD) and Student Government through, but not limited to, events.
- Investigate UHD initiatives and and procedures to see if they are sufficient in meeting students’ needs.
- Schedule meetings regularly with the acting Director of Residence Life.
- Assess areas of growth for UHD and help strengthen those areas by working with both UHD as well as other necessary departments.
- Serve as a liaison between the Residence Hall Association (RHA) and NISG.
- Must attend all RHA meetings.
Director of Racial and Ethnic Affairs
- Maintain open communication with the Director of the Center for Multicultural Education and the Director of Diversity.
- Coordinate with students to investigate issues facing students with racial and ethnic identities at UNI, and work to resolve these issues.
- Attend Student Leadership Advisory Committee meetings as designated by the Director of Diversity.
- Plan and attend educational and social events in collaboration with multicultural student organizations, the Center for Multicultural Education, and other organizations at UNI.
- Work to build a stronger community and support system for students with racial and ethnic identities through advocacy and education to the outward UNI community.
- Collaborate with the Jump Start LLC to discover ways to successfully transition these students into student life at UNI.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northern Iowa Student Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in any student organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.